Teachers – and students – need you!
Are you looking for flexible work hours? Would you like to support teachers? Do you want to have a positive impact on students? Become a substitute teacher. You’ll be a hero to teachers and students.
You don’t need superpowers to become a substitute teacher, the only requirements for substitute teachers in Idaho are:
- A belief that all kids have promise and potential
- A desire to have a positive impact on students and to support teachers
- A belief in charter schools and support for school choice
- A flexible schedule during normal school hours
- A commitment to sub at least 5 times each semester
- A clear criminal background history check
- At least a high school diploma or GED
- At least 18 years of age
Which charter schools need substitute teachers?
All public charter schools need the support of substitute teachers. We’ve established a charter school substitute teaching pool with 13 charter schools on 15 campuses, in both the Treasure Valley and Southeast Idaho. Substitute teaching applications are accepted year-round.
Treasure Valley Schools:
- Anser Charter School
- Compass Public Charter School (two campuses)
- Forge International School
- Future Public School
- Gem Prep: Meridian
- Gem Prep: Nampa
- Heritage Community Charter
- Idaho Arts Charter School (two campuses)
- North Star Charter School
- Project Impact STEM Academy
- Rolling Hills Public Charter School
- Sage International School of Boise
Southeast Idaho Schools:
What is the pay for a substitute teacher?
Charter schools pay substitute teachers a wage competitive with surrounding schools and districts. Subs will generally be paid in full-day (over 4 hours) or half-day (4 hours or less) increments, and are paid monthly by each individual school. View ICSC Substitute Pool Pay Rates here.
I'm excited, how do I apply?
Once you complete the Online Substitute Application, you will be notified via email if you’re selected. Instructions for completing the required criminal history background check will be provided to you at this time as well.
Remember, you cannot work in a school until this has been completed.
Can I follow up on my application to see if it's been approved?
Yes! If it’s been more than two weeks and you haven’t received any information about your application, please call your “central school” and ask for their Sub Application Reviewer (that’s the person managing the application review process for their school).
What is a criminal history background check?
All substitute teachers must undergo a criminal history background check before being allowed to work in a school. You will be fingerprinted and a check will be run through three agencies: the FBI, the Idaho Bureau of Criminal Identification, and the Statewide Sex Offender’s Registry. You will not be approved to work as a substitute teacher until we receive a clear criminal history.
Criminal history background checks must be completed every five years.
When you are selected as a substitute teacher for the ICSC substitute pool, fingerprinting instructions and forms will be sent to you. Here is a list of locations that provide fingerprinting services.
Hooray! I've been approved as a substitute teacher. Now what?
Once you have been approved as a substitute teacher, you will receive a welcome email from ReadySub, our online substitute management tool. Log in and get started by accepting positions right away!
How should I prepare for my first assignment?
- Study the charter school’s website so you have a good understanding of their mission, educational focus and culture.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes early for any substitute job so that you have plenty of time to get acquainted with the school and complete hiring paperwork.
- Bring two forms of identification such as a driver’s license and social security card, and a voided check to set up direct deposit.
- Complete I-9 and W-4 forms for any school that is new to you.
- Bring your enthusiasm and belief that all kids have promise and potential!